Depressed? Find Out Here.
Depressed? There are nine different diagnostic categories and a large number of possiblesymptoms. I will list the basic symptoms here, along with alink to download a self-report test. If you find that you havetested positive on the self-report screen and would like myassistance in determining what type you suffer from and how to proceed click here.
: Individuals may have a general medical condition oran addiction problem. If you areabusing a drug, including prescription medication or alcohol, please attend tothis issue first. You may be amazed how blue symptoms dissipate aftertaking care of a primary issue. If you have not had a thorough physical, including blood work, inover a year please schedule an appointment with your doctor to make sure thereis nothing medical going on. There are several medical conditions thatmimic the melancholic symptoms.
- Depressed mood observed by self or others
- Increased irritability
- Lowered sex drive
- Diminished interest in daily activities
- Strong anxiety
- Lack of pleasure in daily activities
- Loss of ability to laugh and experience joy in your daily life
- Stronger or diminished appetite resulting in weight loss or gain
- Insomnia or hypersomnia (oversleeping) on a regular basis
- Feeling slowed down in your ability to think or physically move
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Excessive and inappropriate amounts of guilt
- Diminished ability to focus or concentrate
- Thoughts of death
- Thoughts of suicide
- Plan for suicide
- Suicide attempt
Areas Impacted May include:
- Physical symptoms
- Behavior problems
- Distorted thinking
- Mood and emotional difficulties
- Troubled relationships
- Specific situations that trigger episodes of depression
- Spiritual or symbolic meanings attached to the illness that led to lifestyle patterns related to depression
- Physical aches and pains
- Family history of depression or mental illness
Rule of Thumb:
If you wonder if you are depressed you probably are. The question toanswer is "How do I know?" A symptom will show itself in many areas within your life. The listsabove can give you good information to map out what your depression lookslike. Each individual experiences depression differently.
With appropriate treatment there is great hope for the depressed. Care enoughfor yourself and those relationships which are important to you to reach out forthe help you deserve. I have written a powerful depression course whichclients complete by email. Look over the course outline by following thelink below.
Take The Zung Scale Depression Inventory
Back to Depression Article Directory
Dave Turo-Shields, ACSW, LCSW
1678 Fry Road, Suite D
Greenwood, Indiana 46142